Meatloaf with Barbecue Glaze

I am trying to make soft foods for my daughter who just got braces and has a tender mouth. I decided to try this recipe for meatloaf I found in the October 2011 issue of Cuisine at Home. I adapted it a bit by only using beef instead of a beef/pork combination. The meatloaf was quite simple to make and made the entire house smell mouth watering good while it was baking. It turned out so moist and really flavorful. My husband and I loved this meatloaf and our kids did too. I served this dish with the Smashed Red Potatoes and they paired perfectly together.

Meatloaf with Barbecue Glaze:
Adapted recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe by Cuisine at Home – October 2011

Barbecue Glaze:

• 3 tbsp barbecue sauce
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
Combine the barbecue sauce, Dijon mustard, and brown sugar together until mixed thoroughly. Set aside.

Meatloaf:

• 2 tbsp milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup of seasoned croutons, crushed
  • 1/2 cup of sweet yellow onion, minced finely
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp carrot, minced finely
  • 2 tbsp celery, minced finely
  • 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
  • 1 lb of lean ground beef
  • 2 tbsp barbecue sauce
  • 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with tin foil then top with a wire rack.

Whisk together the milk and egg in a small bowl; add the crushed croutons and set aside.

Mince the onion, garlic, carrot, celery, and parsley together in a food processor. Combine the crouton mixture, onion mixture, and ground beef together with the barbecue sauce, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste; mix gently with just your fingertips together in a large bowl. Form the mixture into two loaves; place on prepared rack and bake for 15 minutes.

Brush the glaze on the loaves after cooking for 15 minutes then continue to cook for an additional 20 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.

Let the two loaves rest for 10 minutes prior to slicing and serving. Enjoy!!

26 Responses to “Meatloaf with Barbecue Glaze”

mia xara — September 23, 2011 @ 4:32 am

The meatloaf looks very moist,Pam!Very nice recipe to try!!XO

Lorena — September 23, 2011 @ 7:00 am

What an extraordinary way to prepare the meat!!!

Kirsteen — September 23, 2011 @ 9:19 am

This looks so good! I'm making meatloaf this weekend, I hope it turns out as good as yours :) xo

The Blonde Duck — September 23, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

You made this for my birthday!!!!!!!

PeggyR — September 23, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

That looks very good!

StephenC — September 23, 2011 @ 12:57 pm

Oh my, such a beautiful meatloaf to go with those incredible potatoes. I am completely beside myself.

Gloria — September 23, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

I love this Pam. I love meat loaf and this sounds delicious! gloria

The Country Cook — September 23, 2011 @ 3:01 pm

Looks great! Oh gosh, just imagine the next day meatloaf sandwiches!

Smile Bunches Today!!!

What's Cookin' with Mary? — September 23, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

Anyone who tells me they don't like meatloaf hasn't had one filled with veggies and spices like this one and like the ones I make here at home.

For moisture, I like to grate an onion in place of milk. LOVE the extra flavor and moisture it gives.

Just made meatloaf yesterday as a matter of fact. Working on a new recipe :D

Victor Radhose — September 23, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

Me so so hungry :)
    Looks truly delicious.

Anonymous — September 23, 2011 @ 4:25 pm

I am not a meat loaf fan (not sure why), but this makes me want to give it a try! I tell you this all the time Pam, but your photos are stunning!

I'm glad your daughter's teeth are feeling well enough to eat this! Ice cream gets really old after a while, doesn't it? :-)

Kim in MD

Barbara Bakes — September 23, 2011 @ 4:53 pm

I love meatloaf with BBQ sauce. Your mini loaves are a great idea to get dinner on the table much quicker. I'll have to remember that.

Marjie — September 23, 2011 @ 8:14 pm

Try using oats for the filler in meatloaf. It adds no flavor, but you feel better knowing there's extra nutrition in the meat loaf. And I'll have to try your BBQ/Dijon combo topping!

Amish Stories — September 23, 2011 @ 9:14 pm

I really love meatloaf, great comfort food and very classic American. Richard from the Amish settlement of Lebanon,pa

Erin — September 23, 2011 @ 9:26 pm

I haven't made meatloaf in forever, this looks so good! I am going to have to make some soon!

Big Dude — September 24, 2011 @ 12:27 am

That is a great sounding meatloaf Pam. We haven't had one in awhile and I like the idea of two smaller ones so I can cook mine in the smoker (especially with the BBQ flavors) while Bev does her's in the oven.

vanillasugarblog — September 24, 2011 @ 12:48 am

i'm back. back to blogging. i see i've missed a lot of goodies from you.
    have you had problems finding canned pumpkin? can't find it here :-(
    you know what i love most about meatloaf? the leftovers, cold, make great sammies. Mmmm

Joanne — September 24, 2011 @ 1:04 am

I so wish you were around when I had braces…this would have made dinner so much easier!

Words Of Deliciousness — September 24, 2011 @ 1:17 am

I love meatloaf, this one sounds very tasty. I like the BBQ sauce with this meatloaf.

Fran Amenábar Ch. — September 24, 2011 @ 1:42 am

This is very common at home, but never with the glaze. Such a nice idea!

Greetings from Chile

Kris — September 24, 2011 @ 3:18 am

Good old fashioned comfort food at it's best!!! I can smell it from here!

Les secrets d'Elise et Marek, deux cultures, deux cuisines. — September 24, 2011 @ 8:03 am

Hi Pam, just tried your recipe, it was delicious !!! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Elise

Mary — September 24, 2011 @ 1:48 pm

Your meatloaf looks delicious! I haven't made a meatloaf in quite a while and yours is tempting me now. YUM!

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente — September 24, 2011 @ 6:45 pm

Love the sound of this. Hope your daughter's mouth managed to eat it OK. Take care Diane

Christy — March 2, 2012 @ 1:42 pm

Pam – We loved this! I substituted turkey meat and bread crumbs for the croutons (I was out). It was so moist!

Anneke — April 26, 2012 @ 12:08 pm

Hi!
    I saw your recipe a few days back and I actually saved it so that I could try it out. Tonight was the night, and we were so pleasantly surprised! By boyfriend loved it, and so did I. Thank you for sharing a mouth-watering tasteful recipe! Will keep an eye on your site for more of these. ;)