Red Enchilada Sauce

I found this Bobby Flay recipe in the October 2010 Food Network Magazine.I’ve never been a fan of canned enchilada sauce so I was excited to give this recipe a try. I adapted the recipe a bit by using less oil, less chili powder, adding coriander, and using less honey. It was thick and so flavorful! My daughter thought it was “okay” but the rest of us thought it was FANTASTIC. It was so simple to make and it tastes so much better than canned sauce. This sauce would be wonderful on enchiladas, tacos, and huevos rancheros.

Red Enchilada Sauce:
Adapted recipe by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe by Bobby Flay – Food Network Magazine

• 1 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 small sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp chile powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1 28 oz can of whole tomatoes
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • 1 tsp honey

Heat the canola oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Add the minced garlic, chile powder, cumin, coriander, and oregano then stir constantly for 1 minute. Add tomatoes (crushed by hand) and juice. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste and add the honey then cover with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes.

After the sauce has simmered for 30 minutes, blend the sauce with an immersion blender (or regular blender) until smooth. Taste and re-season if needed. Enjoy.

36 Responses to “Red Enchilada Sauce”

Kristy — March 14, 2011 @ 3:24 am

That looks easy enough! Can't wait to try it :)

Kris — March 14, 2011 @ 4:04 am

Well it looks tasty! I will have to try this. Although I do like Las Palmas sauce for enchiladas. Have you used that one?

Andrea@WellnessNotes — March 14, 2011 @ 4:08 am

Sounds and looks delicious! Now I want some enchiladas!

What's Cookin' with Mary? — March 14, 2011 @ 4:20 am

I love all things enchilada. Great recipe!

Honey — March 14, 2011 @ 4:43 am

wow this looks so good. I've often wondered how to make enchilada sauce, and i've just been too lazy and end up using that Old El Paso Enchilada sauce. :-) Next time I'll make this.
    thankssssssss

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente — March 14, 2011 @ 5:38 am

Mmmmmm that looks good, I may add a bit of extra chilli. We love hot and spicy. Ta. Diane

Suman Singh — March 14, 2011 @ 8:43 am

Sounds like a great recipe with all those ingredients in it..looks tasty and yum!

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook — March 14, 2011 @ 11:35 am

Your sauce looks amazing! I can definitely see it on Huevos Rancheros, great idea!

Jenn — March 14, 2011 @ 1:20 pm

I'm definitely bookmarking this one.. I've not found a really good red enchilada sauce yet. I'm thinking this one might be the one!

Melissa @IWasBornToCook — March 14, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

Looks quick and easy and delicious – score!

Fallon — March 14, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

It is actually really easy to make your own sauce! Nothing beats it.

Parsley Sage — March 14, 2011 @ 1:34 pm

It's 830 in the morning and all I want for breakfast is an enchilada! This sauce looks super yummy!

~~louise~~ — March 14, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

Your home made Enchilada Sauce looks mighty tempting, Pam. I may just give it a try. (I'd have to make it for me only, can you image, Marion doesn't enjoy spicy sauces…)

BTW, speaking of Sauces, YOU WON the book!!!

Mansi — March 14, 2011 @ 2:58 pm

Hey thanx for sharing this recipe..i really need it. i vl try it for sure

Kelly — March 14, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

YUMMMMM!!! I love me some echilladas anyways. I'll have to give this sauce a try. Make me hungry for mexican food at 8:30 in the morning. Have a good Monday. Cheers* Kelly @ Something DIfferent For Dinner

PeggyR — March 14, 2011 @ 4:05 pm

Oh yum this sounds good!

Sushma Mallya — March 14, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

looks too good,love the colour..

Joanne — March 14, 2011 @ 5:00 pm

Homemade is definitely always better than canned in my opinion! This sounds so delicious. Love how few ingredients it has!

Cheryl — March 14, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

YUMMY, that looks delicious, I tried making it once but it was too much work. I am going to try this recipe next time!

The Blonde Duck — March 14, 2011 @ 5:34 pm

I. Love. You.

I'm going to use this as a base for chili con carne enchiladas!

Anonymous — March 14, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

I have never like canned enchilada sauce. Your recipe looks incredible, Pam!

Kim in MD

Gloria — March 14, 2011 @ 6:46 pm

Pam look absolutely yummy! gloria

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — March 14, 2011 @ 7:23 pm

What a wonderful idea, Pam! I hate using the sauce out of a can… It just has an aluminium taste to it. I should definitely try this next time I get a craving for enchiladas! Thanks for sharing.

Marjie — March 14, 2011 @ 7:56 pm

It makes sense that you would make a great enchilada sauce for some of your awesome Mexican food!

Melissa — March 14, 2011 @ 9:27 pm

I've been trying on and off to come up with a good recipe of my own, but starting with soaked dried chiles as a base and then adding onion, garlic, tomatoes and spices. Still don't have it quite where I want it and I love your addition of coriander and scaling back the sweet honey factor. Ideas for next time. :)

Martha Ibarra — March 15, 2011 @ 1:19 am

I loved your enchilada sauce.Being hispanic, I always use dried red peppers (guajillo) and roasted garlic to make the enchilada sauce. I need to try this new recipe.
    Martha Ibarra

teresa — March 15, 2011 @ 1:24 am

you really can't beat homemade! this is great, i'm excited to see what you do with it!

Tessa — March 15, 2011 @ 3:19 am

I'm always amazed by how simple it is to make your own homemade sauces – enchilada, pizza, marinara, etc. and they are always so much better when they are homemade. Thanks for sharing!

The Cafe Sucre Farine — March 15, 2011 @ 8:47 am

Wow, these look fantastic! I'm never quite sure what to do with a pork shoulder and often they are on sale – so much meat for such a great price! This will definitely be on my list. Thanks!

fittingbackin — March 15, 2011 @ 12:51 pm

amazing! So smart and it sounds fabulous! I wonder if it saves $ too? Seems like it may!

Organicfemme — April 20, 2011 @ 8:15 am

Thanks for this share. I love this so much!

Rachel — March 21, 2012 @ 1:19 pm

This is it!!! I’ve been looking for a good homemade sauce for the longest time. Thanks so much!!

beatsoftware — June 29, 2012 @ 2:10 am

Hello there!I am at work browsing your current website by my new iphone! Only prefer to write I love reading your current www and also take a look onward to all your threads! Carry on your superb job

Ark — November 25, 2012 @ 10:52 am

Made this last night in place of canned sauce, pretty darn good! Easy to make. I have another one to try but this one was quite good

Holly — June 20, 2013 @ 9:53 am

I’ve never been a fan of canned enchilada sauces. They always taste… “Tin like”. Even the ones from most Mexican restaurants aren’t particularly good. This recipe, however, was wonderful. It was simple to make, and packed tons of flavor. It’s saved to my recipe book. I will definitely be making it again! I used it as the base for a sweet potato/ soy chorizo casserole.

Stefanie — September 26, 2013 @ 1:28 am

This is my absolute GO TO enchilada sauce. It’s SO yummy and my family LOVES it! Thanks for posting!! :)