Mushroom and Spinach Lasagna
I was craving pasta so I decided to make a mushroom and spinach lasagna. It was fairly easy to make, had very little clean up, and tasted fantastic. I usually love meat lasagna but the mushrooms were so hearty I didn’t miss the protein. This dinner was a huge hit with everyone in my family except for my daughter who informed me that she has never liked lasagna – you can’t win them all.
Mushroom and Spinach Lasagna:
Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 (15 oz) container ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp of Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups of baby spinach leaves (or more if you like)
- 6-7 lasagna noodles (I used no boil noodles)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (divided)
- 3 1/2 cups of marinara sauce (homemade or store bought)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the mushrooms and onion for 10-15 minutes or until tender; add the garlic and cook for 60 seconds, stirring frequently. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper.
In a large bowl, add ricotta, egg, 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, oregano, fresh chopped basil, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste. Combine until mixed thoroughly.
Layer a 8 x 8 inch baking pan with just enough sauce to cover the bottom of the pan. Lay two lasagna noodles in the pan. Spread some of the ricotta mixture on the noodles, then spoon some of the mushroom mixture on top, finish by layering some spinach leaves on top; repeat layering. Finish with a layer of noodles and the sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese then top with a dash of dried basil. Bake covered in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes. Enjoy.
Click here for a printable version of this recipe – For the Love of Cooking.net