Vegetable and Kale Soup

We had yet another rainy day here in Oregon so I made a big pot of vegetable soup. I decided to add some kale, because I love it in soups, and some white cannellini beans for protein. This soup was so quick and simple to make and tasted delicious. We all loved it, especially my daughter, who took the leftovers to school in her thermos the next day.
Vegetable and Kale Soup:
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 3 carrots, diced
  • 2 celery, diced
  • 1 zucchini, diced
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1-2 tsp dried basil, to taste
  • 1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes with juices
  • 1 15 oz can of cannellini beans or white beans, drained and rinsed
  • 6 cups of vegetable or chicken stock (I used chicken)
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • 2 cups of kale, chopped

Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat with the olive oil. Add the onion once it’s warm and sauté for 2 minutes then add the minced garlic and stir constantly for 60 seconds. Add the carrot, celery, basil, diced tomatoes and chicken broth. Stir the soup, mixing everything together, then season with sea salt and black pepper. Simmer on medium low heat for 45-60 minutes (depending on how soft you like your veggies). Add the kale, zucchini, and white kidney beans, taste and re season if needed. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Enjoy.

14 Responses to “Vegetable and Kale Soup”

ann — September 22, 2010 @ 4:48 am

Hi Pam, your vegetable and kale soup is really delicious. I made it lastnight and my family loved it, we ate it with hot bread, mmm just yummy. I don't really like vegetable but this recipe made me eat some. Love it!! thanks..

Kirstin — March 16, 2011 @ 12:10 am

I am making this right now…can't wait to try it. I've never had kale before.

marilyn Fernandez — February 27, 2012 @ 10:12 pm

Just made this wonderful soup and it was fantastic!! Simple yet hearty.

barbara — April 25, 2012 @ 7:47 pm

Is there any way of not making this with canned tomatoes but with fresh ones..?

• Pam replied: — April 26th, 2012 @ 9:26 am

I think using fresh tomatoes will work just fine! Let me know how it turns out.

Erica — August 11, 2013 @ 5:21 pm

I make this ALL the time! One of my favourite recipes. I add a bit more chicken stock and quinoa to make it a more filling meal :)

Jenna — October 18, 2013 @ 9:23 am

Quite yummy, and my apartment smelled so good while it was cooking. I added shiitake mushrooms with the carrots and celery, and when it was done I put some globby goat cheese bits in it. The leftovers were pretty good too–I put the veggies sans broth over some couscous with some caramelized onion and parmesan cheese. Will definitely make again.

6 Snow Day Food Favorites – Eat and Sip in the City — February 5, 2014 @ 7:31 am

[...] Soup: Vegetable and Kale Soup is one of my favorites. The fiance makes a really awesome version which I need to get him to share [...]

This is a test post — February 7, 2014 @ 10:14 pm

Karin Miah — March 5, 2014 @ 11:09 am

I made this soup, to the letter! Sorry I have to say, it was nothing to write home about! I had to add sugar for a wee bit of sweetness and even that didn’t help much! I ended up blitzing it and had a second bowl sprinkled with some white pepper! At least I can freeze it now! Sorry again!

Heidi — March 17, 2014 @ 7:54 pm

I made this tonight and it’s delish! I’m a very amateur cook so if I do this anyone could. Thank you for sharing!

8 Great Food Hacks For Healthier Eating - HackCollege — April 11, 2014 @ 5:08 pm

[...] Image: For the Love of Cooking [...]

Ferah — May 26, 2014 @ 10:32 pm

I just made and for someone who has trouble following recipes, I have to say it came out pretty good. Easy to follow.

Chloe — August 24, 2014 @ 9:15 am

I make this all the time. Upped the garlic and onions, used fresh grape tomatoes, vegetable broth, a sprig of rosemary, a couple sprigs thyme and two dried bay leaves and it’s fantastic.