I saw this recipe in a Sunset magazine a few months ago and thought it looked delicious. I had all the ingredients on hand so I decided to make it for lunch. I adapted it a bit by adding red onion, grape tomatoes, and low fat feta cheese. It was a quick and simple recipe that was hearty and tasty. My son loved it too (except the red onions). Simple ingredients make the best recipes.
- 1/4 cup of cooked orzo
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- 1 handful of grape tomatoes
- 1 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 7-8 kalamata olives, halved
- 3-4 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1 tbsp low fat feta cheese
- 1 tbsp good balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
Cook orzo per instructions; drain and set aside. In a small skillet over medium heat, toast the pine nuts (dry – no oil) for 2-3 minutes or until lightly golden brown; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine spinach, tomatoes, pine nuts, olives, basil, feta cheese, orzo, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Toss until evenly coated and serve immediately. Enjoy.