It was a very cold, dark and rainy day and I wanted something warm and comforting for dinner. This may not be the most beautiful meal but I must say it tastes really delicious. I love cooking the beef in my Dutch oven, low and slow for 4 hours. It makes the meat fall apart tender and the broth becomes so flavorful and tasty. I use whole wheat egg noodles with this stroganoff and they taste great, plus they are much better for us. This is a family favorite and a great meal to serve guests.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb of lean beef cut into chunks (I use round steak)
- 1 medium onion, diced into large chunks
- 3-5 cloves of garlic, chopped or minced
- Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1-2 tsp thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups beef broth
Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Add olive oil to a dutch oven over medium heat. Once hot, add beef, thyme, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste. Cook for about 3 minutes then add onions and garlic. Cook for an additional 2 minutes (stirring frequently). Add bay leaf and broth then cover with lid. Put into the oven and cook for 4 hours.
- 8 oz of button mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp cornstarch (mixed with a little water or beef broth)
- Whole wheat egg noodles cooked, per instructions
- Fresh parsley chopped (for garnish)
Heat oil in skillet over medium heat and saute mushrooms until golden brown. Remove the Dutch oven from the oven and place on the stove top over medium heat. Add mushrooms, Dijon, Worcestershire and sour cream. Stir and bring to a boil; add cornstarch/water mixture and reduce heat to medium low. Cook whole wheat egg noodles per instructions. Top the noodles with sauce and serve. Enjoy.
Click here for printable recipe - For the Love of Cooking.net