Halloween Sugar Cookies

My 5 year old’s creations

It was a very brisk and beautiful day. My kids and I just got back from a long walk to the park. The kids have been begging me to make Halloween cookies for awhile so we decided it would be the perfect afternoon project. I grabbed my old Betty Crocker’s cookbook and found a recipe for sugar cookies. I had some butter cream frosting in the cupboard along with some Halloween frosting, chocolate chips and coconut to decorate the cookies with. We made the dough and realized it needed to chill for at least 2 hours. We had friends come for dinner that night and never got a chance to bake the cookies.

After another long walk (it’s a good way to get all their pent up energy out) we ended up making the cookies the next afternoon. Both kids enjoyed using the spooky Halloween cookie cutters and watching their cookies bake. They happily frosted and decorated their cookies for over an hour. It was neat to see how proud they were of their masterpieces. It was a fun time spent together and a great way to spend a cloudy and cold afternoon. Oh, and the coookies tasted really good too.

Sugar Cookies:

• 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar

• 1 cup of butter, softened

• 1 1/2 tsp vanilla

• 1 egg

• 2 1/2 cups of flour

• 1 tsp baking soda

• 1 tsp cream of tartar

Mix powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and egg together until creamy. Stir in the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly. Cover the dough very well and refrigerate for 2 hours.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat the baking sheet lightly with cooking spray. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thick on a slightly floured surface. Cut cookies into whatever shapes you desire.

Make sure everyone gets a turn

Place them on cookie sheet and bake for 7-8 minutes or until the edges are light golden brown.

Cool cookies on the baking sheet for a minute before transferring to a cooling rack. Make sure you let the cookies completely cool before frosting them.

Once the cookies are frosted, let your little ones decorate until their hearts content. I let mine decorate with anything I had in the baking cupboard.

I can’t tell you how much fun they had and how much I enjoyed watching them. Both my kids said they were the best cookies ever. I must admit they were pretty tasty, messy, but tasty.

My three year old’s creations

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

42 Responses to “Halloween Sugar Cookies”

noble pig — October 14, 2008 @ 4:54 am

Seriously the little hands pic is just adorable. You know they just loved this.

bec — October 14, 2008 @ 5:05 am

This is (I think) my first time commenting on your blog, but I totally “stalk” it… and love it. You always have awesome but do-able recipes, and the pictures make me (literally) salivate. :)

The cookies look fantastic. Great job, kids! :) Thanks for sharing!

Paula — October 14, 2008 @ 5:16 am

Ooooh, I let out a mom sigh when I saw those little hands! What a great shot! And seeing them at their decorating stations, well, let me tell you it brought a huge smile to my face. Their cookies are adorable; how could they not be when created by such adorable chefs! Great post!

Cheri Sicard — October 14, 2008 @ 6:39 am

I don’t have kids, but making such cookies represents some of my fondest childhood memories. Someday your kids will realize how lucky they were to have a Mom who did such a wonderful thing for them.

mikky — October 14, 2008 @ 7:29 am

what a perfect way to bond with your kids… they look so serious with their baking, and cute too :)

Girl Japan — October 14, 2008 @ 8:27 am

This is SO adorable, oh it sure looks like so much fun, brings back memories with my mum = ) I have been having trouble getting cream or tartar.. any replacement suggestions?

soulchocolate — October 14, 2008 @ 8:27 am

This is a beautiful hands-on way to teach children about the joy of baking!!! Your adorable children looked so focused doing this! How sweet!

What A Dish! — October 14, 2008 @ 10:49 am

Awwww- we usually do the exact same thing before Halloween and I use that exact same recipe- I love it. It’s the one my mom uses too.

And I enjoy your blog too- I’ve made a few of your soup recipes. (I love soup). Almost everything you make seems like something I would make! Keep the recipes coming. ;)

Prudy — October 14, 2008 @ 11:56 am

Your little children are just precious! I love making cut out cookies for Halloween-even more so than for Christmas. Can’t wait to do it with my little charges.

Lindsey — October 14, 2008 @ 12:02 pm

I love these! I can only imagine how much fun they had, and then reaping the benefits and eating them!

Katherine Aucoin — October 14, 2008 @ 12:28 pm

The picture with the little hands is so cute. They both look like they were having a terrific time! Great way to get them interested in the kitchen and taking ownership.

Susan — October 14, 2008 @ 12:38 pm

What a Joy!

Maria — October 14, 2008 @ 1:31 pm

What fun! Your kids are adorable and the cookies turned out great!

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer — October 14, 2008 @ 1:37 pm

That is so adorable – how fun for you and them of course!! :)

Lisa — October 14, 2008 @ 1:38 pm

Very cute!

Happy cook — October 14, 2008 @ 3:02 pm

Oh those small hands are so cute.

Cheryl — October 14, 2008 @ 3:02 pm

Ok that makes me want to do it! Meggies hands are looking so mature, look at those long fingers!

Emily — October 14, 2008 @ 3:09 pm

How fun! It is definately time to decorate sugar cookies for Halloween! It looks like you have some great helpers!

(Check out my blog . . . you have received an Excelletn blogging award!!!)

wütende Bäckerfrau — October 14, 2008 @ 3:29 pm

aw thats cute. I love bakin with my neices-3 & 5, and my nephews-6 & 8. it's fun to see what they think of to do, decorating-wise. these look delicious!

Live.Love.Eat — October 14, 2008 @ 3:39 pm

These pics are too cute. I love seeing kids in the kitchen. Still working on my little guy.

nicole — October 14, 2008 @ 3:41 pm

I’m going to be making Halloween cookies with my 3 year old this week. I’m sure he will have tons of fun. The cookies your kids made are totally cute.

Marjie — October 14, 2008 @ 3:46 pm

I could see the work of little hands in the very first picture. I know they enjoyed themselves immensely!

Anonymous — October 14, 2008 @ 3:59 pm

WAY TO GO, PAMELA. EVERYONE’S COMMENTS ARE RIGHT ON. THE BABIES HAND PICTURES ARE TERRIFIC. PROUD OF YOU AND THEM. LOVE, MOM

Mindy — October 14, 2008 @ 4:15 pm

It’s fun to let your kids have free reign in the kitchen- every once in a while. I love the pics of their little hands. Very cute. We love sugar cookies.
    BTW- we made your potstickers over the weekend. . . and ate all 60 of them in one sitting. Very yum.

The Blonde Duck — October 14, 2008 @ 4:16 pm

I love the little hands pressing down on the cookie cutter. These pictures make me want my own little ones to make cookies with!

Don’t tell my husband. He’ll have a heart attack.

Think dogs can make cookies?

Bridgett — October 14, 2008 @ 4:17 pm

I love it when the kids have a hand in baking up a treat. This was a great post the the kids did a fantastic and very artistic job ;) You have some budding pastry chefs on your hands.

*Priscilla* — October 14, 2008 @ 4:37 pm

i used to love it when my older sister and mom used to let me help them out with sugar cookies when i was younger…those cookies look delicious and your kids did a great job!

Jenny — October 14, 2008 @ 8:35 pm

Cute! My boys love decorating sugar cookies too. These look like a ton of fun.

Beth — October 14, 2008 @ 8:46 pm

Im worried Lowen would just get in such a mess doing this – oh well!! Perhaps will let her loose….in the garden

Grace — October 14, 2008 @ 9:34 pm

your kids do good work! frankly, i think they did a better job than i could ever do! (i could never color inside the lines either…) :)

Adam — October 14, 2008 @ 10:43 pm

Your kids decorated those? Wow, good for them. They look perfect for the holiday, and very spooky :)

mysweetestday — October 15, 2008 @ 1:10 am

your kids are adorable!

Preppy Sue — October 15, 2008 @ 1:28 am

Just found your blog! My mouth is watering as I’m looking at all of these fabulous recipes!

I love to bake with my children too. The Halloween cookies look fantastic, I bet they were thrilled with their work!

katie — October 15, 2008 @ 1:28 am

Aw my sugar cookies never look so great! Good for you guys, I bet that was super fun.

Gloria — October 15, 2008 @ 2:51 am

Love this Pam and really love these little hands making cookies, so cute!!!!! Remember my childs when were little, nice age! xxGloria

MaryBeth — October 15, 2008 @ 3:39 am

I used to do this every year with my kids when they were little, now that I see the picture of your kids doing it makes me miss mine just a little.

Annie — October 15, 2008 @ 7:57 am

What fun! Makes me wish I lived closer to my little cousins so I could do this with them!

HoneyB — October 15, 2008 @ 8:19 am

What a great post and I love the little hands pressing the cookies cutters! Makes me miss my kids being little. It goes by all too fast.

Anonymous — October 15, 2008 @ 7:53 pm

Are these soft sugar cookies, or hard ones?

Usha — October 15, 2008 @ 9:10 pm

Those cookies look so yummy…and your kids look so adorable…they seem to be enjoying it quite a bit:)

Rhyleysgranny — October 15, 2008 @ 10:09 pm

Your pics are so good but the one with the little hands is just wonderful. A real mouse stopper on TS. I love to have my grandchildren bake with me.

Lidiane Sands — October 17, 2013 @ 5:14 pm

Hi!! Thank you for sharing all this wonderful recipes ….
    My son had a great time making this halloween cookies today….i love your blog…your recipes are mouth watering :)