Shrimp and Scallops in a Lemon Butter Sauce

I can’t believe my little girl started kindergarten this year and my son started preschool. GULP. I didn’t know I would get so emotional but it really hit me hard this week. They grow up way too fast.

Anyway, I was tired and didn’t feel like making a huge dinner. Seafood sounded good and easy so I decided to make shrimp and scallops. I marinated them in garlic, lemon zest, olive oil and basil for 2-3 hours. Then I sauteed them in a lemon butter sauce. My kids gobbled them up and asked for seconds. I loved that it tasted fantastic, was simple to make and very easy to clean up.

• Fresh, large scallops (as many as you want)
  • Fresh large shrimp, deveined, with tail on (as many as you want)
  • Zest of one lemon
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 3-4 basil leaves, chopped (divided)
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • Juice of one lemon
  • Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

Combine the first five ingredients plus a bit of chopped basil and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.

Season the scallops and shrimp with salt and pepper. Heat the last teaspoon of olive oil and butter in a skillet over medium high heat, when the skillet is hot add the scallops and cook for about 2 minutes then turn over. Add the shrimp and lemon juice to the pan and cook for about 2 minutes or until the shrimp is pink and tender and the scallops are golden brown. Serve immediately and enjoy.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

40 Responses to “Shrimp and Scallops in a Lemon Butter Sauce”

Jan — September 5, 2008 @ 5:58 am

Oooh now they look DELISH!!!

• Marcia replied: — March 2nd, 2014 @ 11:13 am

wonder how much garlic she used? she mentioned it in the first paragraph but not in the recipe??

• yup replied: — March 9th, 2014 @ 5:29 pm

She used a clove. It’s in the ingredients list.

Nina Timm — September 5, 2008 @ 6:49 am

I how I would love to have a plate full of that tonight!

recipes2share — September 5, 2008 @ 7:06 am

Looks delicious. I know how you feel, my son began secondary school (high?) this week, so no kids left in primary now!!

mikky — September 5, 2008 @ 8:59 am

time surely flies fast… one minute you're just cradling them, next their all grown-up… anyway… i love your Shrimps & Scallops… looks so delicious… i'm getting hungry…:)

Fabmama — September 5, 2008 @ 10:29 am

Am definitely going to try this recipe. Thanks!

Marsha M — September 5, 2008 @ 10:43 am

I stumbled onto your blog and liked it!!! and you call it a simple dinner….more like a feast to me!! :-)

hot garlic — September 5, 2008 @ 12:37 pm

This sounds, and looks, so simple and delicious. There is nothing better than a ‘gourmet’ meal that was almost no effort!

~Priscilla~ — September 5, 2008 @ 12:50 pm

not a big shrimp fan, but it looks delicious….i know my dad and brothers would love this.

p.s. do you mind if i add you to my blogroll?

Prudy — September 5, 2008 @ 1:47 pm

That looks wonderful! I can relate to your sad first day feelings. I homeschool now and I always feel a sigh of relief to have them at home. I’ve sent my oldest to school and I always felt like something was missing all day.

Cheryl — September 5, 2008 @ 1:55 pm

That looks yummy!

Marjie — September 5, 2008 @ 2:00 pm

I’ve never cooked shrimp and scallops together. I get them so rarely that I try to savor them separately, if that makes sense. This is a very pretty dish.

I have cried every time one of my children has gone to a higher level of school; that’s a lot of bittersweet tears. The time goes too fast.

Fearless Kitchen — September 5, 2008 @ 2:24 pm

This looks delightful. The combination of flavors works really well.

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer — September 5, 2008 @ 2:31 pm

This looks wonderful – What a great way to blend 2 of my favorites!!

Aggie — September 5, 2008 @ 2:32 pm

Wow, this looks so delicious!! I just started cooking with scallops, I’ll have to try this.

Pam — September 5, 2008 @ 4:59 pm

~Priscilla~ Thanks for all of your nice comments. I would be honored if you added me to your blogroll – thanks!

Paula — September 5, 2008 @ 5:20 pm

Oh Pam, have mercy on me! These look absolutely divine! How wonderful that the recipe isn’t cumbersome, and I love how you indicate quantities to be as many as you want! My family would devour these, especially my gluten free baby!

I hear you about your kids being old enough to head out to school. Preschool and kindergarten are such great age groups, too! Old enough to try things on

Maria — September 5, 2008 @ 5:35 pm

We love scallops! This dish looks delicious!

Gloria (Canela) — September 5, 2008 @ 7:07 pm

This looks absolutely yummy!!! Love prawns, I post today prawns pudding!!! xxGloria

Lisa — September 5, 2008 @ 7:30 pm

I love seafood this looks especially delicious!

Divya Vikram — September 5, 2008 @ 7:38 pm

Thanks for dropping by my blog..You have a great blog with amazing pics.

Leslie — September 5, 2008 @ 7:48 pm

YUM YUM YUM….Our kids must be the same age!
    My son(5) just started Kindergarden and my daughter(3) just started Pre-K….sniffle..

Adam — September 5, 2008 @ 9:30 pm

I love scallops, they are so easy and take on a whole range of flavors :)

Good luck with the little tykes and school. I bet one of the best parts of their day is coming home to mom and a nice home cooked meal :)

Nate-n-Annie — September 5, 2008 @ 11:04 pm

Our son is in 1st Grade and our daughter just started preschool. They’re growing up too fast!

I think one of the best ways to spend time with them is to cook with them in the kitchen. Don’t you agree?

Jan — September 5, 2008 @ 11:36 pm

That looks positively divine, Pam. I love fresh seafood but it’s just so darn difficult to get around here.

Grace — September 6, 2008 @ 7:36 am

the mention of butter sauce reminds me of a traumatizing event–while dining at red lobster, one of my friends was dared to drink the dish of melted butter sauce, and drink it he did. i still shudder to recall. :)

Hannah a.k.a.Topiary Lady — September 6, 2008 @ 1:31 pm

They do look good. That’s what I miss not living near the coast! Fresh seafood. Just about everything is farm raised in my local stores and I’m more of a WILD seafood eater!
    Thanks for sharing. I may just have to eat farm raised shrimp for this recipe, it looks too good!

noble pig — September 6, 2008 @ 2:50 pm

These are gorgeous! I love the browning on them, just perfect.

Emily — September 6, 2008 @ 10:10 pm

Wow this looks wonderful!

zatil — September 7, 2008 @ 7:00 am

Hi, I am million of miles from you. I just LOVE your blog, the recipe and all the pics were GREAT! Everything was tempting. I tried your coconut, choc chip & almond cookie recipe and it turned out awesome.

I just had to add you to my blog list!

My Sweet & Saucy — September 7, 2008 @ 10:52 pm

What a perfect dinner recipe! I just adore shrimp and scallops!

My Sweet & Saucy — September 7, 2008 @ 10:52 pm

What a perfect dinner recipe! I just adore shrimp and scallops!

Natasha — September 8, 2008 @ 12:09 am

Hey, I have an award for you! Stop by and pick it up!

Lauren — September 8, 2008 @ 11:10 pm

They look simple, easy and delicious!

Tonya — February 2, 2013 @ 1:29 pm

Thank you for this recipe!! I’ve always wanted a good recipe for shrimp and scallops and I have definitely found one now! I didn’t change a thing (except I may have left the marinated seafood in the fridge for two hours instead of one due to losing track of time). The food was absolutely delicious. My guests are still raving about it. I served with parmesan bread (which everyone used to dip in the “gravy” from the seafood ). And while it was in the refrigerator we had crab legs and mojitos :-) Thank you again!

They like me! They really like me! | Kinetic Kate — March 15, 2013 @ 6:46 pm

[...] For the Love of Cooking – Shrimp and Scallops in a Lemon Butter Sauce [...]

Shrimp and Scallops in a Lemon Butter Sauce - fantasticsausage | fantasticsausage — September 28, 2013 @ 2:09 pm

[...] Comments closed advertisement Source [...]

Marcia — March 2, 2014 @ 11:15 am

how much garlic did you use? also, one point it says to use the first 4 ingredients for the maranade and the other spot says use all the ingredients?

• Pam replied: — March 2nd, 2014 @ 2:01 pm

Marcia,

Thanks for letting me know there was a problem. I corrected the recipe. I used one clove of minced garlic and you combine the first five ingredients – plus a bit of basil for the marinade.