Peach Crisp

We went to Idaho last weekend for a family gathering at my mother in law’s house to celebrate an early Thanksgiving. We had a wonderful time catching up with each other, riding four wheeler’s, eating great meals, watching the kids play together and going on fun adventures. It was a quick trip but so worth it!

My brother in law Rick bought four of the largest peaches I’ve ever seen from a local farmers market. They were perfectly ripe and smelled so good. The group decided a peach crisp would make a nice dessert so my mother in law sliced up the peaches and I got busy making the topping. It was amazing! Perfectly sweet, a little tart and the topping was excellent with lots of cinnamon and butter.

As you can tell by the pictures, my in laws live on a large piece of land with a beautiful view. My daughter and her Uncle Rick were out flying the kite while some of these pictures were taken – you can see them in the background. It’s hard to come back to the city once you experience the peace and quiet of a small town.

• 4 extremely large peaches (size of a softball), peeled and sliced into thin slices
  • 2-3 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp lemon zest
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients until blended thoroughly. Spray a small baking dish with cooking spray and add peaches. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes.

• 1 cup white flour
  • 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats, uncooked
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 8 tbsp slightly softened butter

While the fruit is baking in the oven, add flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon and butter to a mixing bowl. Mix ingredients with your fingers until crumbly. Once the fruit has cooked 20 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle the crumble evenly over the top of the peaches. Return to the oven and bake for 15 minutes longer. Serve with homemade whipped cream (recipe below) or vanilla ice cream.

Whipped Cream:

• 1 pint of whipping cream
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Mix all ingredients with a hand blender for 5-7 minutes until fluffy.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

32 Responses to “Peach Crisp”

Cheryl — September 30, 2008 @ 4:03 am

Ahhhh so cute!

Girl Japan — September 30, 2008 @ 4:14 am

What fond memories you’ll have, the photos are stunning and the dish.. I can smell the Cinnamon from here..

It sure is beginning to look like fall!

anudivya — September 30, 2008 @ 4:18 am

Those peaches look gorgeous, can tell it is right at the peak of ripeness. Lovely!

nicole — September 30, 2008 @ 5:10 am

I wish I could find some good peaches right now. Someday I will have my own peach tree. This looks perfect and I’m sure it was so good.

Paula — September 30, 2008 @ 6:34 am

Wow, what a gorgeous view! Your photos are also beautifully composed. Sound like you had a wonderful trip! Your peach crisp with that vanilla whipped cream sounds and looks delicious! The color of those sliced peaches is wonderful. How great, too, that you and your mother in law prepared it together! YUM!

recipes2share — September 30, 2008 @ 6:38 am

What a great trip and how lovely you can have these experiences with your mother-in-law, lucky you!!

Lore — September 30, 2008 @ 8:03 am

Sounds like such a great place to live in! It’s been ages since I ate a good peach that bursts with flavour and these look just like that. Lovely crisp recipe!

Jason — September 30, 2008 @ 9:22 am

This looks so good! I just love a peach cobbler.
    It’s funny to look at your pictures from Idaho, I just take for granted the open medow’s, since I grew up there. I remember flying a kite as a kid in the wheat field behind my house and riding our motorcycles too! Hope you had a good time.

Prudy — September 30, 2008 @ 11:16 am

Your pictures are so pretty! We spent a week in Idaho last summer at Island Park. It is so pretty and there is so much to do-it made me want to go back every year. Your crisp looks lovely.

The Blonde Duck — September 30, 2008 @ 11:18 am

Oh yum!!! It looks so good. I just want to dive into it! :)

Katherine Aucoin — September 30, 2008 @ 11:49 am

Your peach crisp looks perfect. What a lovely idea to have Thanksgiving early, a wonderful way to spend time with family.

Dhanggit — September 30, 2008 @ 12:30 pm

mmmmm, this dessert sounds to die for…yum

Adam — September 30, 2008 @ 12:49 pm

I think that peach crisp is perfect for that family get together. It’s such a nice comfort, down to home dessert… totally meant to be. Sweet deal, Pam :)

hot garlic — September 30, 2008 @ 12:59 pm

Gorgeous photos Pam! This just looks mouthwatering good. I can’t say no to crisp!

Where do you guys live, close to Idaho? I’m actually from Utah originally so we’re neighbors!

Lucky you that you got an early Thanksgiving! I love Thanksgiving and have a few each year myself, it’s too good just for once a year!

Maria — September 30, 2008 @ 1:46 pm

Love your photos! What a beautiful place. The peach crisp looks perfect! It is always best with fresh peaches!

Live.Love.Eat — September 30, 2008 @ 1:55 pm

This is so beautiful, the dish & the pics. This makes me want to go back to a horse ranch & guest farm we went to last year. You are so right about not wanting to come back………

Heather — September 30, 2008 @ 4:00 pm

how pretty! i love crisps! they’re such a homey and wholesome dessert!

VeggieGirl — September 30, 2008 @ 4:04 pm

MAGNIFICENT crisp!!

mikky — September 30, 2008 @ 5:31 pm

beautiful photography idea… and what a great peach dessert… :)

Grace — September 30, 2008 @ 6:40 pm

wow. there are only two ways that i like peaches–completely plain (with juice running down my chin) and in a crisp, with ice cream on top. your pictures are stunning. :)

Marjie — September 30, 2008 @ 9:17 pm

The (expletive deleted) deer ate most of our peaches. I’ll be writing about my pathetic efforts soon! Your peach crisp is wonderful, and it looks like everyone had a wonderful family visit!

Lisa — October 1, 2008 @ 4:22 am

I can almost smell this baking at my house.

Jan — October 1, 2008 @ 4:57 am

I live in the back of beyond, and it has its disadvantages foodwise but I wouldn’t exchange it for city living. Been there bought, the t shirt.

Yours and mum in law’s peach crisp looks delightful. Glad you had such a nice time.

Usha — October 1, 2008 @ 6:18 pm

Sounds like you had a great time…the peach crisp looks yum :)

Clumbsy Cookie — October 1, 2008 @ 6:31 pm

So perfect for this late summer/beginning of fall! I love the first picture!

Leslie — October 1, 2008 @ 8:04 pm

wonderfully tasty! I love the open landscape in the photos!!!!

MaryBeth — October 1, 2008 @ 10:43 pm

The background scenery in your pictures looks very tranquil. The cobbler isn’t bad either…Yum

soulchocolate — October 3, 2008 @ 7:29 pm

This cobbler looks very yummy. The landscape looks just like how I would eat it….outdoors in good weather with a fruity treat like this!

rubybean77 — October 4, 2008 @ 4:33 pm

Peaches are PERFECT this time of year! This looks FABULOUS!!!!!

Stacey Snacks — October 8, 2008 @ 2:29 am

These photos are fantastic!
    I love the one with the kite in the backround.
    They win first place in the peach kite contest!
    Stacey

InTheFastLane — October 9, 2008 @ 5:26 pm

I was so going to make this today. But, me, with my lack of food knowledge did not know that you can’t buy peaches in Indiana at this time of year. If I used apples, would you suggest any other changes to this recipe?

Patrick — August 26, 2012 @ 9:27 pm

I had a Groupon for my local farmer’s market to get 10 punds of peaches. Knowing that I wouldn’t be able to eat them all before they went bad I had to make a yummy dessert with peaches.
    Pam you filled the need.
    This was delicious. Although I did not cut the skins of the peaches, it added some extra juicy-ness to it. Served it to the neighbors and they loved it too!
    Thanks again Pam.