Beef Stew

Beef stew is total comfort food for me. When I was a kid, my mom would cook stew all day in the crock-pot and we would eat it with plain bread and butter. This is one of those recipes that I really love because it’s very easy to make, it reminds me of my childhood and it makes the house smell so good. I love to cook the meat, onion, garlic, tomatoes and broth in the oven for about 4-5 hours then add the fresh vegetables and cook for another hour on the stove top. I serve with a tossed salad and fresh bread with butter. This is my daughters very favorite dinner and is a huge hit in our house – especially on cold and rainy days.

• 1 lb stew meat (I use lean round cut into small chunks)
  • 1 sweet yellow onion chopped into large pieces
  • 6 cloves of garlic chopped
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1-2 tsp dried thyme
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 6 cups of beef stock
  • 1 cup diced carrots
  • 1 cup diced celery
  • 2 cups diced baby red potatoes (skin on)

Preheat oven to 250 degrees (you can also use stove top or crock-pot).

Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add stew meat and onion then cook for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds before adding tomatoes, seasonings and stock. Cover and cook in the oven for at least 4 hours. Remove pot from oven place on stove top over medium low heat.

Add vegetables to the stew and add more beef broth if low. Taste and re-season if needed. Cover and cook for 1 – 1 1/ 2 hours. If you want the stew to be thick, add a slurry of cornstarch and cold beef broth (mixing thoroughly) then pour into stew while it’s boiling, stir then reduce heat to low. Serve and enjoy!

Click here for printable recipe

62 Responses to “Beef Stew”

Emily — September 12, 2008 @ 5:32 am

Pam- this seriously is the most delicious looking beef stew that I have ever seen! I am always on the hunt for a good beef stew recipe and I think yours looks fab!

Joe Horn — September 12, 2008 @ 5:46 am

Great picture. Fall and Winter here I come!

skinnymum — September 12, 2008 @ 6:12 am

You beef stew looks so wholesome, hearty and delicious. Will try it out once I settle into my new place.

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Cheryl — September 12, 2008 @ 9:50 am

That looks yummy, John was just telling me he wants beef stew!

BECK — September 12, 2008 @ 1:45 pm

hi
    hello
    how was your day?
    i liked your blog
    you are fantastic!!!

really nice blog
    fabulous fantastic
    bye
    take care
    see you

Marjie — September 12, 2008 @ 2:44 pm

Weekends +Beef Stew = Perfect!

I put sweet potatoes in mine, and grate a potato, which I cook into the stew for many hours, so it thickens the broth.

And now your picture makes me hungry!

The Blonde Duck — September 12, 2008 @ 3:43 pm

Who doesn’t love a good stew! So perfect for fall!

recipes2share — September 12, 2008 @ 3:57 pm

delicious – we have just had our log delivery and it makes me want to light a fire, but It’s not quite cool enough yet!

Lisa — September 12, 2008 @ 4:44 pm

This does look comforting but then so does your delicious marinara!

Laurie — September 12, 2008 @ 6:29 pm

I love Beef Stew.. and have been craving it recently after watching a show from Michael Chiarello.. Thanks for reminding me through your post.. wonderful! :)
    I’m going to put the ingredients on my grocery list!
    Ciao!

Dawn — September 12, 2008 @ 10:45 pm

It’s going to be time for this type of cooking real soon. I love the smell of beef stew cooking away in a crockpot all day. Yours looks so hearty. Mmmm

MaryBeth — September 12, 2008 @ 11:38 pm

Are we all ready for autumn and some beef stew? I have been telling my husband for weeks that I want to make stew but he says it is still to hot outside and that I must be patient for the cooler weather to arrive. I am jealous that you got to have some and I have to wait. The picture looks terrific. By the way… we too ate it as kids with bread and butter, i don’t think it gets any better than

Paula — September 13, 2008 @ 12:01 am

What a great recipe and such a lovely memory to go with it! I’ve recently started using more cornstarch, and this will be on my table in the coming Fall months! YUM!

noble pig — September 13, 2008 @ 1:04 am

So beautiful and I can feel Fall in the air. I also beef stew, it’s also a childhood favorite.

Jessie — September 13, 2008 @ 2:20 am

Pam, I’ve always made beef stew using russet potatoes. I’ve never thought I’d see red potatoes in beef stew, either way your beef stew looks delicious and so comforting especially since it’s rainy and cold here today.

Olga — September 13, 2008 @ 3:19 am

I’ve never made a beef stew in my entire life! This looks so utterly delicious. All it needs is a chunk of bread :)

bella — September 13, 2008 @ 5:38 am

mmmm,this beef stew looks great ,the result is simply perfect!!!

Grace — September 13, 2008 @ 9:26 am

is it stew time already? yeah, i guess it is. this is a quality dish, pam–very nice. :)

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer — September 13, 2008 @ 2:41 pm

I am so ready for comfort food season!! This will be at the top of this list when it cools down!!

Giff — September 13, 2008 @ 3:53 pm

always so good!

emily — September 13, 2008 @ 5:43 pm

Thank you!

FINALLY! I great-looking recipe for beef stew that doesn’t have red wine!

I can’t wait to try this.

Jan — September 13, 2008 @ 8:53 pm

I love beef stew, and yours looks bloody marvelous. In England it is traditional to serve beef stew with dumplings. Yummy.

BTW, Pam, I’ve given you an award.

Katie — September 13, 2008 @ 9:21 pm

I love a warm soup or stew on a cold day! Great photos.

~Priscilla~ — September 13, 2008 @ 9:47 pm

wow, this looks great!! saved for when the weather gets colder!

Maria — September 14, 2008 @ 1:52 am

I guess fall is here. Time to get out the soup and stew recipes. I think I will make a soup tomorrow!!

Anonymous — September 14, 2008 @ 5:12 am

Looks yummy man.

——————–
    FDL4ALL.com

HoneyB — September 14, 2008 @ 11:35 am

Looks delish! I made venison stew earlier this week! I must say, yours looks better than mine did! I also want to let you know I left you the an award. Check out my latest blog post to read about it.

susan c — September 14, 2008 @ 5:39 pm

I have been looking for an easy, delicious beef stew in a rich brown sauce like this one.

Now that I’ve used the better part of my morning perusing your blog and fantasizing about all the wonderful foods I will make when the temp drops another 20 degrees, I’m off to pick up some fresh tomatoes from a friend’s garden.

Mommy3girls1985 — September 15, 2008 @ 6:57 am

This looks like the beef stew my mother always made…YUM…definatly going to save that recipe!

hot garlic — September 15, 2008 @ 12:34 pm

I love stew too! This looks just beautiful! And so satisfying!

HDMac — September 15, 2008 @ 4:56 pm

I love beef stew. Fall is a great time for it! I make mine in the crockpot all day long too. Love using the leftovers to send in lunch for my hubby and myself! Goes great with a loaf of homemade bread. :)

Natasha — September 15, 2008 @ 9:11 pm

Beef stew is one of my favorite dishes and I’m always looking for new ways to make it. Will try your version next time – it looks absolutely divine!

rookie cookie — September 16, 2008 @ 12:52 am

Spare me. I can’t stop looking at the chunks of beef and potatoes in that stew. Pardon me while I wipe the drool off my chin.

Sharyn — January 10, 2012 @ 4:26 am

OMGosh! So yummy! I HATE celery, so the only thing I did differently was I increased the carrots to 1.5 cups and I did 1.5 pounds of baby reds. So good! Thanks for sharing! Gotta love Pinterest

• Wayne replied: — January 17th, 2012 @ 11:53 pm

Your recipe calls for 6 cloves of garlic, are you sure you don’t mean 6 toes of garlic? also when I clicked on the printable recipe it came up saying the 6 cloves of garlic, but also called for two tsp. of garlic powder. Mine is cooking now, but I also added barley and frozen corn.

Pam — January 18, 2012 @ 4:13 am

Wayne,

I call them cloves but I believe they are the same thing as toes. I use 6 (sometimes more) cloves of garlic in my stew as well as sometimes adding garlic powder. I love garlic!

Debbie — January 22, 2012 @ 8:16 pm

I am very excited to try your stew. I just wanted to let you know the printable recipe differs from the website.

• Pam replied: — January 22nd, 2012 @ 10:00 pm

Debbie,

Thank you for letting me know. I have corrected the printable version of the recipe to reflect the new & improved version of my beef stew. Thanks again!

Gina — June 2, 2012 @ 9:02 am

Im making this today in the crockpot but did not see directions for when to add the veggies or how long to cook. After browning the meat, onion and garlic I threw everything in the crockpot…veggies included!! I am hoping this will be okay:). I’m super excited to try this stew as stew is one of my MOST favorite things!!!
    Thank you for the recipe!!

• Pam replied: — June 2nd, 2012 @ 9:13 am

Gina, I cook the beef for about 3-4 hours then add the potatoes and veggies so they don’t fall apart. I am sure yours will turn out just fine. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does.

Missy — June 15, 2012 @ 1:41 am

OMG This looks AMAZING! In fact so much so that I’m going to be allll over this today! It looks so simple and I have almost everything I need for it already in the house! It’s rainy and cold today despite the fact that it should be almost summer so it’s such perfect timing! BTW I found your post through http://foodgawker.com/popular/gawked/page/9/ :D

Bhavna Shivalkar — August 11, 2012 @ 11:30 pm

Pam I have never cooked Beef Stew before especially because of religious reasons and the fact that I don’t know how to cook Beef. I brought some Beef a few days ago and have been desperately looking for the recipe to make good stew and stumbled upon your blog. Loved the recipe will try and and feature it on my blog and link it to yours . Hope that is ok.

• Pam replied: — August 13th, 2012 @ 8:26 am

Bhavna,

I am so glad you loved the recipe. Feel free to feature it on your blog. All I ask is that I am given credit and a link is provided. Thanks!

Lisa — September 12, 2012 @ 8:54 am

Instead of the potatoes I am going to add ORZO, will let you know how it comes out but as of now the house smells very YUMMY!

Veronica — September 13, 2012 @ 10:35 am

Pinned it :)

Taylor — September 17, 2012 @ 4:10 pm

I made this today and couldn’t wait for it to be done the whole 5 and a half hours. It was definitely worth the wait though! It came out so good. Everyone who ate a bowl commented on how good it was. My boyfriend even said it was the best beef stew he’d ever had.

Rick — October 17, 2012 @ 9:36 am

wish you had a printable version, I cant just print the beef stew because it would use to many pages, hope you can add that. I would love to try the beef stew, looks great

Connie — November 15, 2012 @ 8:04 am

I’ll be trying this recipe today, but I’ll be using a crockpot (since my oven doesn’t always cooperate.) Since I’m a total newbie-cook, maybe you can give me some suggestions as to how I can make this stew with a crockpot, versus the oven?

Thanks!

Jenny — January 7, 2013 @ 11:39 pm

If i choose the stove to option rather than in oven, How long do I cook it for?

• Pam replied: — January 8th, 2013 @ 8:07 am

Jenny,

I usually cook it for the same amount of time on top of the stove. Just simmer the meat until it’s tender and falling apart. Increase the heat a bit when you add the veggies for the last hour of cooking. I hope this helps.

Cassandra — January 21, 2013 @ 6:08 am

This recipe was a HUGE hit in my house.. my hubby who doesn’t normally like beef stew, LOVED it… (he had 4 servings at supper) I barely have any left overs and i added more than the recipe needed lol.. I took the liberty to cut my carrots into hearts and the kids loved it (grown ups too) :P

My 17 month old gobbled it up, i mean seriously, i couldn’t even eat my own bowl because she kept begging for more and she’d go “MMMMMM” at EVERY SINGLE BITE lol

This is by far the best stew i’ve ever made, and probably the last i’ll ever try…YES it’s that good people!! Thank you so much for this recipe!!

• Pam replied: — January 21st, 2013 @ 8:14 am

Cassandra,

Thank you for the sweet comment – I am thrilled that you family loved the stew. Cutting the carrots into hearts is a fabulous idea!

This stew is my daughter’s favorite dish. I make a huge batch just for her and fill zip locks with a little more than a cup of stew in each bag then freeze them. I thaw and heat until hot then place into her thermos for a hot lunch at school… she loves it.

Winter Weekend Beef Stew | Stitch and Simmer — January 27, 2013 @ 9:15 pm

[...] won’t claim credit for this recipe– I grabbed off Pam at For the Love of Cooking’s website, which is full of excellent [...]

Dinner Prompts | Abbey Lynn Langley — May 27, 2013 @ 5:22 pm

[...] Beef stew [...]

Marie Booth — August 25, 2013 @ 7:14 am

I have to say that I found this recipe a couple of years ago, and it has been my go to recipe for stew ever since. I always make a double batch, as we always eat the first batch the first night, then we have leftovers with the second batch. It’s a huge hit, thanks for the wonderful recipe!

http://privateprofitplus.wordpress.com/ — April 24, 2014 @ 3:50 am

Hello i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anyplace, when i read this
    article i thought i could also create comment due to this good article.

Garlicky Beef Stew | Never Enough Thyme — Never Enough Thyme - Recipes with a slight southern accent. — June 9, 2014 @ 10:10 am

[...] Beef Stew from For the Love of Cooking [...]

bail bonds 1 — July 12, 2014 @ 4:58 am

Good way of explaining, and fastidious article to take information about
    my presentation topic, which i am going to deliver in school.

new york real estate agency — July 12, 2014 @ 10:51 pm

Everyone loves it whenever people come together and share ideas.
    Great blog, continue the good work!

residential cleaning services lawrenceville ga — July 18, 2014 @ 7:23 pm

I almost never comment, however after browsing some of the responses on For the
    Love of Cooking

experienced criminal defense attorney — July 25, 2014 @ 5:30 pm

I’m truly enjoying the design and layout of your blog.

It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me to come here and visit more
    often. Did you hire out a developer to create your theme?

Excellent work!

midwifery Greenville — July 30, 2014 @ 2:27 pm

Hello there! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog.
    Is it very difficult to set up your own blog?

I’m not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick.
    I’m thinking about making my own but I’m not sure
    where to begin. Do you have any points or suggestions? Many thanks