Sloppy Joes

Okay, so this isn’t a culinary masterpiece but it is an easy dinner when you have left over ground beef and hamburger buns to use up. I wasn’t in the mood for anything fancy and I was really tired so I threw some ingredients together and made sloppy joes. It was extremely easy to make and tasted great. I served them with baked steak fries and watermelon wedges. My husband and kids loved this dinner and I loved how easy it was.

• 1 1/2 lbs of lean ground beef (I used 96/4)
  • 1 small sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 1/4 orange bell pepper, diced
  • 1 celery stalk, diced
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp dried mustard
  • 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1 cup of ketchup
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp water
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and cook for 3-4 minutes, making sure to break it up into crumbles. Add the onion, celery, garlic and bell pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Drain any grease then add ketchup, brown sugar and water. Stir and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Enjoy.

27 Responses to “Sloppy Joes”

RecipeGirl — August 12, 2008 @ 4:19 pm

I love that you blogged about sloppy joes. They’re an old-time fave of mine. I tried to make them recently in the crockpot for a quick after-soccer dinner and they were a disaster. I’ll have to try your recipe!

Aggie — August 12, 2008 @ 4:19 pm

Hi there! Thanks for visiting my blog!

My husband’s all time favorite is Sloppy Joes. I’ve never actually made them homemade like this, I usually just spruce up the canned sauce…I will definately try this! Great dinner!

You’ve got a great blog here…I’m going to have to go “explore” now…: )

Katherine Aucoin — August 12, 2008 @ 4:27 pm

Pam thank you for visiting my blog and for your kind comment.

Your Sloppy Joes ae the most savory I’ve seen. I am going to be on the go for the ext couple ofmonths and this will definiely make into my quick meal rotation.

You have a wonderful blog…you knocked my socks off with the asparagus and zucchini spears YUM!

Cheryl — August 12, 2008 @ 4:28 pm

That looks good, I have never made homemade and John hates the canned stuff, so I gotta try this!

Elle — August 12, 2008 @ 6:06 pm

Looks like a great recipe! I love sloppy joes and have been craving the like crazy lately!

Paula — August 12, 2008 @ 6:13 pm

Sloppy joes and steak fries? What time should I send my husband over? Sloppy Joes are great; they always bring a smile to my face and I love eating them. Yours has a great homemade BBQ feel to it … double yum!

Prudy — August 12, 2008 @ 6:28 pm

I make these at least once a year. When I do it next time I’m making your version. They look delicious and very real people food! I love it.

Marjie — August 12, 2008 @ 7:30 pm

This is typical of one of my weekend meals, where I don’t want to cook. The weekend is for something other than life in the kitchen, isn’t it?

I wonder if my dearly beloved would tolerate this…

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen — August 12, 2008 @ 11:24 pm

What a great idea! I haven’t had these in forever! I used to make my mom make them for me every Halloween with corn! LOL!

EAT! — August 13, 2008 @ 12:00 am

Love, love, love the sloppy joe. It is so versatile. Reheats great, can take it to a tailgate or picnic, and everyone one is happy to eat one!!

Adam — August 13, 2008 @ 12:39 am

Thanks for stopping by the site. Yours looks great. I love your pics, and you try and make everything healthier.

Sloppy Joe’s were a staple of mine as a kid. I even request them when I go home every few months… like they are hard to make right? :)

I like ‘em extra sloppy (Billy Madison… good movie)

Lisa — August 13, 2008 @ 1:25 am

I love how these sloppy joes look like they have extra chunky veggies. Yum!

crunchLin — August 13, 2008 @ 1:59 am

oOo sloppy joes!those look so yummy!

Kevin — August 13, 2008 @ 2:27 am

That looks good! It has been too long since I last made sloppy joe’s and I haven’t tried making them from scratch yet. I am going to have to get this onto my meal plan soon.

Jason — August 13, 2008 @ 5:14 am

I think I completely forgot about sloppy joes until I read your post…now I have a sudden craving from my childhood! Thanks for the reminder, I think I will have to try out this recipe, it sounds pretty darn good!

Kay — August 13, 2008 @ 5:40 am

So simple, but it looks so tasty!

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) — August 13, 2008 @ 7:20 am

Damn, I should have seen this last night… I had ground beef and wanted something delicious, but could not think of anything, I made Bobotie, but sadly it did not hit the spot!!

Grace — August 13, 2008 @ 7:59 am

i love sloppy joes, and yours sound perfect. just seeing the words sloppy joe makes me think of adam sandler’s lunchlady song. if you haven’t heard it, i wish you’d hunt it down and listen to it–it’s hilarious. :)

Mochachocolata Rita — August 13, 2008 @ 8:40 am

hmmm havent tried this yet in hong kong….i’ll have to try your recipe ^_^

Quincy — August 13, 2008 @ 12:43 pm

Beats all the preservative in a can of prepared stuff, too. I’m trying your recipe!

Lore — August 13, 2008 @ 1:48 pm

Love your sloppy joes, they’re the proof that simple things in life can be really really tasty. What a great idea to serve them along some watermelon!

Deborah — August 13, 2008 @ 3:21 pm

I am a sloppy joe fan! And my recipe has celery – and I’ve never seen anyone else use celery so I was so glad to see that you do too!

danny — August 13, 2008 @ 3:24 pm

The sloppy joes look great! Does it make a difference to sautee the onions and vegetables and then do the meat?

Pam — August 13, 2008 @ 4:56 pm

Danny,

You can saute the veggies first then cook the meat. I just did it all together because it was easier. Hope you enjoy!

Amarnath — August 18, 2008 @ 6:21 am

nice post… thanks!!!

shellydelight.etsy.com — August 18, 2008 @ 7:56 am

Hello. Today I think I have spent about 5 hours on your blog saving about 95% of your recipes. I love your taste in food!! My boyfriend of 5 years is a VERY picky eater and I think I might get away with making almost all of your recipes. I will check back often and look forward to seeing more dishes!

-Shelly
    Shellydelight@gmail.com

Kristie — August 28, 2012 @ 1:04 pm

I wanted to say I love all your recipes on here and can not wait to try them. I was wondering though if you or anyone has tried ground turkey breast for their sloppy joes instead of ground beef? It is a great alternative and healthier too! And let me just say ever since I have tried it I have not gone back to ground beef in my sloppy joes yet!