Crash Hot Potatoes

I love looking at food blogs and getting inspired to make new things. I was looking at the Pioneer Woman Cooks website the other day and I saw a recipe called “Crash Hot Potatoes”. They were created by an Australian food writer named Jill Dupleix. I love the Pioneer Woman, she has a witty and wonderful website full of great recipes & stories. She also gives you step by step photos of the recipe. Check out her website through the link above – you’ll love it. I decided to make these little beauties and my whole family was glad I did. Growing up in Idaho, I had potatoes every way you can imagine…and I love them all. I have never had potatoes like this before so I had to try them. The recipe was very easy to make. They were crunchy and creamy and so delicious. I loved them plain with sea salt, fresh cracked pepper and a bit of olive oil and I also liked them with a bit of sour cream and green onions. A great new potato recipe to add to my collection.

• 12-15 baby red potatoes
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees (PW said 450 but I used 400).

Boil the potatoes for 10-15 minutes or until fork tender. Place on a cooking sheet coated with cooking spray or drizzled with olive oil. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet and with a potato masher, gently smash each potato. Drizzle with olive oil, sea salt and pepper (add a bit of your favorite dry herbs if you like).

Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Eat plain or top with a little sour cream and green onions (my kids loved them this way). Enjoy!

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

62 Responses to “Crash Hot Potatoes”

Marjie — August 28, 2008 @ 2:25 pm

I keep meaning to try these. I like your version with the sour cream & scallions!

Fearless Kitchen — August 28, 2008 @ 2:32 pm

These look really interesting – I’ve never seen potatoes made this way, but I bet they taste great!

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer — August 28, 2008 @ 2:34 pm

I love these and make them all the time. They are so easy and a big hit in this house – Instead of sour cream I top mine with alittle rosemary and flavored feta cheese. Off the charts.

Natasha — August 28, 2008 @ 4:55 pm

What a great idea! They look so wonderful! Hmmm, as it happens, I just bought some potatoes today…
    *rushes off to make these*

recipes2share — August 28, 2008 @ 6:03 pm

These look great & so easy too!

Bentoist — August 28, 2008 @ 6:28 pm

Simple yet elegant. I’ve gotta try it for my bento sometime.

Jason — August 28, 2008 @ 7:12 pm

Coming from Idaho I should love potatoes, but I just don’t. These do look really good though, I will try this out!

Nate-n-Annie — August 28, 2008 @ 7:57 pm

Would it work as well with Yukon Golds?

Maria — August 28, 2008 @ 8:11 pm

These potatoes are adorable! What a great little side dish or appetizer!

Holler — August 28, 2008 @ 10:33 pm

I love these potatoes, they are so good! You were very gently with them. I usually give them a good wallop!

Pam — August 28, 2008 @ 10:48 pm

Nate-n-Annie,

I am sure Yukon Golds would work just as well as red potatoes. I hope you try them, they were so delicious.

Teresa — August 28, 2008 @ 10:59 pm

I *love* these! I tried them the other day and they were delicious plain. With sour cream they’d be even better!

Cheryl — August 28, 2008 @ 11:01 pm

Those look freaking amazing!

Jan — August 28, 2008 @ 11:24 pm

I really must try these! I love spuds, and these look and sound fantastic.

Grace — August 29, 2008 @ 9:40 am

i bookmarked these as well, but i haven’t tried ‘em yet. perhaps this is what i need to become motivated and make good on my grandpa’s nickname for me. (he calls me “tater”–i’m 25 years old, and still “tater”…) :)

Manggy — August 29, 2008 @ 10:44 am

I’m not usually motivated to cook side dishes, but these things are beauties on their own right! And they’re so easy to make too!

I just love the crispy, slight char on the edges of the skin :)

Jeni — August 29, 2008 @ 1:16 pm

Those look so fantastic. YUMMMMM!

Susan — August 29, 2008 @ 1:32 pm

I made these for supper using fresh red potatoes from the garden. Served them with butter, sour cream,chives and crumbled bacon…yummy!!

Olga — August 29, 2008 @ 2:46 pm

That looks absolutely delicious! I bet all the edges get super crisp.

Sally Parrott Ashbrook — August 29, 2008 @ 3:16 pm

I love potatoes cooked this way. It’s also possible to do something similar in a skillet after the boiling. Delicious, and you took some great photos of it!

Jeanine — August 29, 2008 @ 3:54 pm

YUM!!! I love potatoes, each and every way, and I’ve never tried these before. Sounds simple enough, this is on my “to-try” list now. Thanks! :)

Shannon and Scott — August 29, 2008 @ 6:39 pm

I LOVE these! Soooo good and a little crunchy. Great with mayonnaise too! :)

PaniniKathy — August 29, 2008 @ 6:42 pm

We’ve been enjoying these at our house all summer long – so easy and delicious! First had similar ones at Lola in Seattle last year and I was glad to see them on Pioneer Woman. We hadn’t tried them with sour cream yet – will do that next!

Shel and Rick — August 29, 2008 @ 8:31 pm

I saw this recipe on PW as well. I made these at 450 and they were perfect. I think anything cooler and they wouldn’t have come out as crispy. I also made 12 for the 2 of us…it wasn’t enough. They were SO good!

Brilynn — August 29, 2008 @ 8:39 pm

Food blogs are a neverending source of inspiration, these look great!

Deborah — August 29, 2008 @ 9:39 pm

I have been wanting to make these since I saw them on Pioneer Woman. Yours look great!

Pam — August 30, 2008 @ 1:17 am

Like a lot of people here, I also bookmarked these and have been meaning to try them. I’ll bookmark yours too, and hopefully get to these!

Sharon — August 30, 2008 @ 4:08 am

I remember seeing these and wanting to make them. Thanks for the reminder – your photos make me hungry!!

HoneyB — August 30, 2008 @ 8:14 am

I see people all over making these and I have yet to do so. I actually have a bag of salt potatoes – I could try this out this weekend. Grumpy would love them for sure! Oh yeah, I probably would too! :p

Stacey Snacks — August 30, 2008 @ 2:32 pm

Will try the potato recipe.
    Looks simple and better than an ordinary baked potato!
    Thanks for posting it.

Stacey

Kristen — August 30, 2008 @ 9:02 pm

I am so in love with these potatoes!
    Love your photography! Those potatoes are mouthwatering.

Lovebabz — August 31, 2008 @ 2:16 am

OMG! I am so making these. I never thought to dothis…so simple! AAArgh so much for dropping potatos from my diet to lose weight! To the devil I say with my diet!

Flutter sent me.

Jj — August 31, 2008 @ 3:43 am

These do look delicious – love your idea of sour cream and onions. I must try this, thank you!

Nan — September 4, 2008 @ 5:48 pm

A friend just sent me here, knowing my love for potatoes. These will be my supper tonight – not an appetizer or side dish, but THE dish. Thanks so much.

Denise — September 9, 2008 @ 12:23 am

These sound absolutely great!

Denise

Bentoist — September 12, 2008 @ 2:52 pm

I tried the potatoes and not only are they absolutely delicious, what’s left makes fantastic bento fillers. I will definitely be making more of these to come. Thanks!

Heather — October 6, 2008 @ 9:19 pm

I love these. They will definitly be a family staple from here on out. They even reheat well. I discovered if I bake them in a cupcake pan, I get nicely formed little potatoes, much like hashbrowns. They work for school lunches too as they are good cold, but better hot.

Sandra — January 13, 2012 @ 2:30 pm

I will try these. My husband likes dill on his tators so I think a sprinkling of dill would jazz them up!

The End of February Vacation | Mademoiselle McC — February 26, 2012 @ 5:04 pm

[...] in our fridge and pantry. Tina made stuffed peppers (with wild rice, salsa and cheese), Alex made smashed, roasted red potatoes–and I made a veggie slaw and baked chicken cutlets with a honey, balsamic and moscato wine [...]

Geanette — March 6, 2012 @ 8:54 pm

These were so yummy! We used Chervile Goat Cheese on top… Perfect!

Deb, RN — March 7, 2012 @ 3:58 pm

I make a similar version. Scrub the small red or fingerling potatoes well. Place in shallow baking pan with 1/2 to 3/4 in water. Cover with foil bake at 500 degrees for 30 min. Drain off water, coat with olive oil and gently smash with a cup or glass to 1/2 in thick. Drizzle a little olive oil on the smashed potatoes, sprinkle sea slat and pepper, return to oven for additional 30min at 500degrees. During last 10 min add shredded parmesan cheese. Enjoy. I add sour cream to them sometimes.

Christine — March 21, 2012 @ 8:09 pm

I made these today!! DELICIOUS!!! I smashed mine with a slotted spatula then brushed them with a mixture of Olive Oil, Melted Butter and a clove of finely chopped Garlic. They were Awesome and Hubby loved them!! Thanks!

lunaticg — March 24, 2012 @ 11:44 pm

That look easy to make. Maybe can add some cheese on it too.

Crash Hot Potatoes « Trying to be Holly… — March 30, 2012 @ 9:42 pm

[...] original Pin I followed came from For the Love of Cooking.  I love her idea of topping them with sour cream, although I did not do that this time.  From [...]

Heather - CraftFail — April 8, 2012 @ 5:27 pm

Hi Pam!
    We are linking to your post (with a photo & credit) as an “inspiration” for a post at Craftfail – we’ll also juxtapose your beautiful version with the failer’s version.

Pinterest Fail: Potato Crash Site | CraftFail — April 13, 2012 @ 8:01 am

[...] Inspiration photo: Crash Potatoes by For the Love of Cooking, inspired by Pioneer Woman and recipe by Jill [...]

What’s for Dinner // Crash Hot Potatoes « — April 25, 2012 @ 8:37 am

[...] got the inspiration to make these Crash Hot Potatoes from a pin on Pinterest that linked back to For the Love of Cooking. They are super easy to make and most important of all, delicious. I varied the recipe slightly [...]

Shoni — April 25, 2012 @ 7:29 pm

This has become my new go-to for a side. They are delish! I always add garlic powder and top with ‘baked potato’ supplements. What an easy and yummy way to make potatoes. Thank you!

Low Calorie Roasted Red Potatoes Recipe - Losing in Las Vegas — May 3, 2012 @ 6:30 pm

[...] ago and kept telling myself I needed to try it. The recipe that I originally pinned is from For the Love of Cooking. I took the olive oil down a bit and didn’t include the sour cream. They are so [...]

Crushed Potatoes « Chew Love — May 15, 2012 @ 1:29 pm

[...] favorite way to cook potatoes!  I found the recipe on Pinterest from another blogger called For the Love of Cooking.  I have made them twice already and in 2 different ways.  I have the recipes below for [...]

kris — May 20, 2012 @ 5:45 pm

Made these twice now. First using red potatoes, second using yukon gold. The whole family loved them! Thank you for the great recipes!

Crash Hot Potatoes « normalcooking — August 2, 2012 @ 10:26 am

[...] Source:  For the Love of Cooking [...]

Kartöflur | Tilraunaeldhúsið — September 3, 2012 @ 1:58 pm

[...] ég impróvæsaði aðeins, en þó undir áhrifum frá þessari. Útkoman var sérdeilis ágæt, þótt ég muni setja aðeins meira smjör [...]

Nicole — September 23, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

I actually can a lot of red potatoes toward the end of summer. Using those would definitely cut down on the process. No boiling necessary if I use my canned potatoes. I’m glad I saw this recipe…making them for supper tonight!

Day Two. « ainthekitchen — October 16, 2012 @ 2:58 pm

[...] changed the name to smashed potatoes.  The blog “For the Love of Cooking” calls them Crash Hot Potatoes, but Smashed Potatoes is just so much [...]

Ronda — October 16, 2012 @ 7:12 pm

Debbie and Peter hosted dinner that included this simple yet flavorful side dish the perfect complement to a savory tri tip and sun dried tomato stew so delicious Thanks for the recipe my kids love it!!!! :)

Sidetrack'd » Blog Archive » Feed Your Family Friday — October 19, 2012 @ 12:35 pm

[...] – lunch: picnic at the pumpkin patch / dinner: honey lime tilapia, crash hot potatoes, green [...]

Crash Hot Potatoes | I Was Born To Cook — February 5, 2013 @ 2:38 pm

[...] Add whatever herbs and toppings you like.  We had a plain version this time around, but I’ll definitely change it up, depending on what we’re having with them. Crash Hot Potatoes from For the Love of Cooking [...]

One potato, two potato « One English Teacher — February 7, 2013 @ 5:47 pm

[...] easy side dish. The goal is to try something new every week not tear my hair out. So, I settled on crash hot potatoes.   Basically, these are baby red potatoes that are boiled. Then, they are put on a cookie sheet, [...]

Crash Hot Potatoes | Good Stuff Only — June 3, 2013 @ 10:09 am

[...] For more details please visit this link were you will find instructions : fortheloveofcooking.net [...]

Pinned it & Made it … — September 2, 2013 @ 8:58 pm

[...] Crash Hot Potatoes {a staple to go along with our weekend steak night} [...]

Thanksgiving Main and Side Dishes Roundup! | Queen Lila-royalty crafts — November 25, 2013 @ 11:06 pm

[...] Crash hot potatoes by for the love of cooking [...]