Baked Zucchini Sticks

I have been trying to find new ways to cook the zucchini from my neighbor Jack’s garden. I was in the mood for something crunchy and decided to try baked zucchini with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. I love fried foods but they are obviously not healthy – this is my healthier version of fried zucchini. I cut the spears thick so they wouldn’t get overcooked and mushy. They were crunchy on the outside and perfectly cooked on the inside. I served them with left over marinara sauce and they tasted so good! My kids absolutely loved them and both asked for seconds.

• 2 large zucchini
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
  • Dash of garlic powder
  • Dash of dried basil
  • Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
  • Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with tinfoil or wax paper – spray with cooking spray. Cut the zucchini into half lengthwise then into thick spears. Combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese and seasonings then mix thoroughly. Dip the spears into egg then bread crumbs and Parmesan mixture, making sure to coat evenly. Place on baking sheet and spray the top of each spear with cooking spray. Bake for 10-12 minutes then turn the oven to broil and cook, watching carefully, until they become golden brown 45-60 seconds. Serve with marinara sauce or your favorite salad dressing. Enjoy!

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

32 Responses to “Baked Zucchini Sticks”

Cheryl — August 19, 2008 @ 2:02 pm

That is one of my favorite foods, fried of course, I must try this!

Kelly — August 19, 2008 @ 2:45 pm

Yummy!

Fearless Kitchen — August 19, 2008 @ 3:16 pm

This looks great. I bet it would be a fantastic recipe for kids, too.

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer — August 19, 2008 @ 4:00 pm

I love that this is baked and not fried. Great recipe.

Paula — August 19, 2008 @ 4:46 pm

These look great! I like the parmesan added to your breading. I do believe that I would prefer these to the fried ones! That shape is great, too! YUM!

Michele — August 19, 2008 @ 5:50 pm

My Mum used to make something very close to this. She served them with fresh grated Parmesan on top with a squeeze of lemon juice. Now I’m nostalgic for my childhood! Thanks fot posting the recipe….I can’t wait to try them.

recipes2share — August 19, 2008 @ 7:34 pm

I will pass this to my friends who are always looking for new courgette recipes as they always have a summer glut – they run a guest house & will be delighted with this idea – fab! thank you.

Jason — August 19, 2008 @ 11:15 pm

Thanks for a healthy version of my favorite summer treat! I also love that you mixed the parmesan cheese and bread crumbs, it adds so much more flavor to the coating.

Lisa — August 19, 2008 @ 11:36 pm

Oh, I definitely have to make these!

Aggie — August 20, 2008 @ 12:04 am

I just bought two beautiful zucchinis and have been wondering what to do with them, I really love how these look! I like that they are baked not fried…thanks for the recipe!

Mochachocolata Rita — August 20, 2008 @ 6:16 am

beautiful idea! i love zucchini and this is a great way to have them! wow!

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) — August 20, 2008 @ 7:23 am

What a fun and healthy way to get the kids to eat their veggies. It sure has a lot of crunch!

Grace — August 20, 2008 @ 7:47 am

what a great idea! i know a lot of people who complain about the overabundance of zucchini, but look at everything you can do with it! there are so many possibilities, and i like this one. i like it a lot. :)

Deborah — August 20, 2008 @ 6:43 pm

My husband has been begging me to make fried zucchini, but I haven’t been wanting to make the mess. This sounds just as delicious, and healthier!

sliceofsueshe — August 20, 2008 @ 8:10 pm

these look fabulous. what a great way to eat your veggies.

PaniniKathy — August 21, 2008 @ 12:14 am

Great idea to bake them! I bet I could even get my husband to eat zucchini if I made it this way. We shall see!

~Madeline~ — August 21, 2008 @ 1:05 am

These look really great!

Megan — August 21, 2008 @ 3:12 am

Oh my goodness. Zucchini is my favorite summer veggie…your recipe looks absolutely amazing! I can’t wait to try this one… I actually want to make it now and have it as a fourth meal tonight.

Megan of Bit of Nutmeg

Oakley Rhodes — August 21, 2008 @ 4:28 am

YUM! I’m going to go make these RIGHT NOW for an evening snack.

If you’re looking for more things to do with zucchini, I just posted a recipe for a whole wheat chocolate zucchini cake that fooled even the pickiest of eaters.

diva@thesugarbar — August 21, 2008 @ 5:29 am

cool recipe! it might fool me into thinking i’m actually have fat chunky chips :)

Holler — August 21, 2008 @ 9:06 am

What a simple, but gorgeous idea! They look really delicious :)

Olga — August 21, 2008 @ 3:27 pm

This looks great! I think it’d be also good dipped in some ranch dressing.

nicole — August 21, 2008 @ 4:38 pm

Looks super easy and I’m ready to try it this week.

Brilynn — August 22, 2008 @ 5:58 pm

I think everyone could use another way to use up excess zucchini, this looks great!

Megan — September 9, 2008 @ 2:07 am

I loved this one, I made this and blogged about it! Check it out, http://www.bitofnutmeg.com/2008/09/i-am-not-tired-of-it-yet.html

Megan of Bit of Nutmeg

Anonymous — October 7, 2008 @ 1:05 pm

Mine didn’t turn out very well, but I can’t bake/roast/broil veggies to save my life.

25 Super Bowl Appetizer/Treat Ideas | My Blog — April 1, 2012 @ 6:50 am

[...] Corn Fritters Toasted Ravioli Bite Sized Baked Brie Twix Caramel Popcorn Baked Zucchini Sticks Double Chocolate Football Cupcakes Football Strawberries Potato Rings [...]

25 Super Bowl Appetizer/Treat Ideas — May 10, 2012 @ 9:02 am

[...] Cake PopsPaula Deen’s Corn FrittersToasted RavioliBite Sized Baked BrieTwix Caramel PopcornBaked Zucchini SticksDouble Chocolate Football CupcakesFootball StrawberriesPotato RingsPersonal Veggie and Dip [...]

Leslie — November 4, 2012 @ 8:19 pm

I made these tonight with grilled flank steak, corn in the cob, green salad and Jasmine rice……Dee-lish! Incredibly flavorful and crunchy coating! A big hit with the whole fam. Thanks!

Homemade Oven-Baked Zucchini Sticks | Project Do It 4 U — February 4, 2013 @ 7:52 pm

[...] Original Source: Fortheloveofcooking.net [...]

Healthy Recipe Roundup for the Big Game - Good Works Wellness Research, LLC — January 29, 2014 @ 4:19 pm

[...] Baked Zucchini Sticks, For the Love of Cooking:  To completely avoid all of the top eight allergens, I recommend substituting olive oil for the eggs; nutritional yeast for the Parmesan cheese; gluten-free bread crumbs for the Italian bread crumbs; and please never use cooking spray. Put a bit of coconut oil on a paper towel and rub the pan with that instead of using spray-on cooking spray which often contains rancid oils and oils which are highly inflammatory. [...]

My Blog | Homemade Oven-Baked Zucchini Sticks — March 9, 2014 @ 9:37 am