Coleen’s Spice Cake

My kids and I wanted to make a special dessert for our friends who were coming for dinner. I instantly thought of the cake my mother in law, Coleen, recently made for us. It was moist and delicious as well as sweet, spicy and a bit crunchy. The flavors combined beautifully together and the cream cheese frosting topped it perfectly. It is one of the easiest cakes I have ever made and my kids and I had so much fun baking together. I tweaked it a bit by using some brown sugar (instead of all white) and a bit of vanilla. Thanks for the wonderful recipe Coleen!

Cake:

• 2 cups of flour
  • 1 cup of white sugar
  • 1 cup of brown sugar
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 20 oz can of crushed pineapple
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients, including pineapple juice, mix thoroughly. Pour into a greased and floured 9 x 13 x 2 baking dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Let cool completely.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

• 8 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cube of butter, softened
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups of powdered sugar

Combine all ingredients together and beat with a mixer until smooth and creamy. Ice the cake when completely cooled. Garnish the top with a sprinkle of nutmeg for a bit more spice. Enjoy.

14 Responses to “Coleen’s Spice Cake”

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen — July 29, 2008 @ 4:39 pm

This totally sounds like my kind of cake! I love all the flavors and it looks just delicious!

Jenn — July 29, 2008 @ 5:42 pm

this cake looks wonderful! I bet the pineapple gives it a unique delicious flavor. I stumbled on your blog and I am so glad I did. I love the Chicken Chile recipe too.

Jan — July 29, 2008 @ 11:52 pm

That looks amazing, Pam. I bet your guests loved it.

Do you think it would work without the cinnamon, as I can’t abide the stuff? I don’t even like the smell of it.

Pam — July 30, 2008 @ 12:11 am

Jan, I don’t know how good it would be (because I love the cinnamon in this cake) but maybe you could use a dash of clove in it’s place. Let me know if it works.

~~Louise~~ — July 30, 2008 @ 2:02 pm

I can just imagine how much fun you and your children must have had baking this delicious looking cake. I’ll take a piece with my coffee if you don’t mind…Please!

MaryBeth — July 30, 2008 @ 11:36 pm

It looks fabulous, I bet it taste’s just as great.

Elle — August 5, 2008 @ 2:34 am

Do you know what I’d give for a piece of that right now? It looks fantastic, with that thick layer of frosting!

maedee — August 10, 2008 @ 2:22 am

Hi. I would love to try the cake,I have a question: the only liquid to combine the dry ingredients is the pineapple.Is that right?? No eggs nor oil? Thanks for your blog!
    Maedee

Pam — August 11, 2008 @ 2:13 am

Maedee,

You are correct – no eggs or oil, just the pineapple and it’s juice. I hope you like it.

B J — April 26, 2012 @ 8:02 pm

Love spice cake and this one has to be good!! So glad I saw it on Pinterest and will love to repin it! Thank you soo much!!

Mommyof@ — October 11, 2012 @ 12:57 pm

What do you mean “a cube of butter?” Does that mean all 4 sticks-a whole pound? or just one stick? This looks Delish! Can’t wait to make it!! Thanks!

• Pam replied: — October 11th, 2012 @ 3:30 pm

1 stick of butter.

Carol — February 20, 2014 @ 9:01 am

This looks amazing–can’t wait to try. Does the cake need to be refrigerated once done or can it remain out for a couple of days?

• Pam replied: — February 20th, 2014 @ 10:37 am

I left it out for a day and it was fine… it didn’t last longer than that because my family gobbled it up.