Lasagna

We had company for dinner and I wanted to make a tasty meal that would satisfy all the kids and the adults…lasagna was the perfect choice. I usually make lasagna with Italian turkey sausage and lots of veggies (see recipe here) but this time I decided to make it very simple. I used low fat ground beef and fresh basil from the garden. It turned out amazing… the cheese was gooey and the meat was tender. I served it with a nectarine and goat cheese salad and bread sticks. This meal was a big hit with everyone.

• 1 pound of lean ground beef (I used 96/4)
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 pinch of red pepper flakes
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese (I used non fat)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
  • 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese
  • 9 lasagna noodles, cooked per instructions
  • 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 4 cups of marinara sauce (homemade or store bought)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a skillet over medium heat, cook ground beef, making sure to break it up into crumbles. Add the onions, garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano and salt & pepper to taste. Once the meat is brown and the onion is tender, add the garlic and cook for 60 seconds, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and drain any grease.

In a large bowl, add ricotta, eggs, 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, fresh chopped basil, salt & pepper to taste. Combine until mixed thoroughly. Meanwhile, cook the lasagna noodles per instructions then drain.

Layer a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with just enough sauce to cover the bottom of the pan. Lay three lasagna noodles in the pan. Spread some of the ricotta mixture on the noodles, then spoon some of the ground beef mixture on top and sprinkle with a bit of mozzarella, spoon some sauce over the cheese; repeat layering. Finish with a layer of noodles and remaining sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese. Bake covered in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes. Enjoy.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

21 Responses to “Lasagna”

Paula — June 27, 2008 @ 5:03 pm

Yum, yum, YUM! Those layers look amazing and I swear I can smell lasagna when I look at it!

Jan — June 28, 2008 @ 1:19 am

That looks and sounds like a perfect lasagna. Good job!

Jesse — June 28, 2008 @ 2:56 am

I stumbled across your page and I must admit, all your recipes look delicious. I’m definitely going to try this lasagna, it looks fantastic. Thank you very much – keep up the great work!

Grace — June 28, 2008 @ 7:54 am

lasagna happens to me one of my favorite comfort foods, and it looks like you make a mean one! properly saucy and cheesy and spiced–forget seconds, i’d be going back for thirds! :)

Lore — June 28, 2008 @ 9:40 am

That top most layer looks amazing, not that the others wouldn’t! Going for my fork now. Mmm I might bring 2 forks back instead of one ;)

Mickie — June 28, 2008 @ 1:59 pm

I haven’t made a lasagna in over 5 years. I think that I need to make one this weekend. Simple lasagnas always taste the best.

nicole — June 28, 2008 @ 6:43 pm

I love lasagna. It looks really tasty.

Jason — June 29, 2008 @ 8:11 am

Oh, I love lasagna, and this recipe looks simply delicious! I agree that the turkey makes a more guilt free dish, but the ground beef is a winner in my book!

recipes2share — June 30, 2008 @ 6:30 am

This looks delicious and what a beautiful photo. Thank you!

Leslie — August 17, 2008 @ 10:46 pm

oooeeeyyyy gooooeeeeyyyy lasagna..Yum!

Half Baked — August 17, 2008 @ 11:16 pm

Looks like cheesy goodness to me:)

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) — August 18, 2008 @ 2:03 pm

I can make a huge dent in this dish right now. It looks so yummee and delicious!!!

Kevin — August 18, 2008 @ 9:31 pm

Just look at that golden brown melted cheese on top.

Ashley — June 14, 2012 @ 12:16 pm

I am using this recipe tonight for dinner…..craving lasagna….and Your site is my first to go to for Just about any dish i make. Thanks so much for all the yummy food !!! =)

Pat — July 6, 2012 @ 8:33 pm

I was looking for a simple lasagna recipe and did not want to use the one from the box of noodles. Where else to go but here. Great recipe turned out wonderfully, when my wife Kim said to just go with the flow and not follow the recipe– I said no way. This is too simple and will have great results. — And it did. What a hit!

• Pat replied: — September 12th, 2012 @ 6:06 pm

Having it again tonight. Love this recipe. Your blog makes it so easy to find great, simple and well balanced recipes– thank you Pam for such a great blog.

Cristina — September 26, 2012 @ 2:02 pm

How many servings is this recipe?

• Pam replied: — September 26th, 2012 @ 2:16 pm

8-10 depending on how big you cut the slices. I hope this helps.

52 Recipes for 2012 :: update « — December 1, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

[...] and decided to give it a go. They were very good, but I think I prefer traditional pancakes. 40. Lasagna: One night I was really craving lasagna. This recipe was GREAT. I tasted just as good leftover. I [...]

52 Recipes for 2012 :: FINAL UPDATE « — December 30, 2012 @ 5:57 pm

[...] 43. Pecan Pie Cheesecake 42. Nutella Marshmallow Cookies 41. Buttermilk Pumpkin Pancakes 40. Lasagna 39. Ghostly Peeps Brownie Smores 38. Pumpkin Cream Cheese Icing 37. 5 Minute Homemade Mac and [...]

Recipe of the Month - My Housewife Advice — February 28, 2014 @ 6:37 am

[...] recipe comes from For The Love of Cooking blog.  I’m going to try her lasagna recipe.  Here is her recipe [...]