Ginger Snaps

Let’s face it… I love cookies and you’ll probably see a lot of recipes for them on this blog. My very favorite is a snickerdoodle with extra cinnamon but my second favorite is a ginger snap. They are soft and chewy inside with a bit of crisp on the outside. I recommendeating these ginger snaps with an ice cold glass of milk.

• 2 1/4 cups of flour
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp cloves
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup non salted butter, softened
  • 1 cup of brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp water
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 2 tbsp white sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt then set aside. In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg then add water and molasses and mix thoroughly. Gently stir the dry mixture into the molasses mixture. Shape dough into balls then roll them in the two tablespoons of white sugar. Place the cookies about 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack. Enjoy.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

12 Responses to “Ginger Snaps”

Jan — June 6, 2008 @ 11:48 pm

In England, Ginger Snaps are tooth breakingly hard, the only way to eat them is to dunk them in your cup of tea. But these sound good.

SephXIII — June 7, 2008 @ 11:34 am

Hi. I was wondering. In the event that I can’t find molasses where I live, do you think substituting honey for it would dramatically affect the taste?

I love ginger snaps, and have a homemade version that isn’t rock hard would be awesome. *grin*

Pam — June 7, 2008 @ 3:12 pm

Sephxiii,

Hi… I read the following on the Internet:

*For 1 cup of molasses you can substitute 1 cup of Dark Corn Syrup or 1 Cup of Honey, Or 1 cup of Maple Syrup or 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar.*

I don’t know if the cookies will have the dark color but they should still be tasty! Hope this helps.

~~Louise~~ — June 7, 2008 @ 5:53 pm

What a delightful blog you have. Each recipe looks more inviting than the last. Saving you for future visits:)

Just in case you’re wondering, popped in from Columbus Foodie…

Thanks for sharing.

Kevin — June 7, 2008 @ 8:42 pm

Those ginger snaps look good! Bookmarked to try.

Jan — June 7, 2008 @ 9:14 pm

Sephxiii doesn’t say where she’s from, but if it’s England she can substitute treacle for molasses.

Sorry, I’m interfering on your blog. I’m just a born meddler.

SephXIII — June 8, 2008 @ 2:48 am

Hi Pam. I came across that info, hence the question about the honey. I’m actually worried about the taste. I’ve never been a fan of the taste of honey or maple syrup.

jan, I’m from south east asia. I don’t meddle in the kitchen much, so I’m at a loss when it comes to finding things that sound slightly more exotic (yes, molasses or treacle). *laughs*

Oh, and fresh ginger is such

SephXIII — June 8, 2008 @ 2:50 am

Oh, just found this on another site:

” In baking, 3/4 cup sugar plus 1/4 cup of water can be substituted for 1 cup of molasses. Increase the spices to compensate for the loss of the molasses flavor. “

One has to love the internet. *big smile*

Elle — June 9, 2008 @ 2:54 pm

Oh, these look fantastic! I am a sucker for gingersnaps, and the more gingery, the better!

Jackie — June 9, 2008 @ 3:12 pm

These look fantastic. I’m a huge fan of snickerdoodles, too but never tried Gingersnaps – will have to do so now, thanks!

Annie — February 21, 2013 @ 12:40 pm

It’s always epic fail when i try to make cookies… But i followed the directions to a tee and my batter was so gooey there was no way to roll the dough into balls… What might i have done wrong? I measured everything correctly…boo, b/c the batter smells REALLY good!

• Pam replied: — February 21st, 2013 @ 12:59 pm

I am not sure why your batter is gooey if you followed the instructions. Try to put the dough into the refirgerator for 30 minutes so it will firm up before rolling into balls. Let me know if that works for you.