Corn Chowder with Parmesan Cheese

After wanting to make it for a long time, I finally made corn chowder this week. It was easy to make and it didn’t take long at all. It was creamy, salty, a touch sweet and a bit spicy from the black pepper. We all enjoyed it, especially my husband. I served it with fresh baked bread and a tossed green salad. A nice, light and flavorful meal.

• 3-4 pieces of bacon
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 celery stalk, diced
  • 1 carrot, diced
  • 1/4 red bell pepper, diced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 3 sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves only (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 Idaho potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • 2 cups of milk
  • 3 1/2 cups of fresh or frozen corn
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup of Parmesan Cheese, shredded
  • 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

Cook the bacon over medium heat in a large Dutch oven. Once cooked, remove and drain grease on a paper towel, crumble and set aside. Add chopped onions, celery, carrots, red bell pepper, and thyme to the pan and saute for 8-9 minutes or until soft; add garlic and cook for 45 seconds stirring frequently. Add stock, bay leaf, potatoes, corn, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. In a separate bowl, ladle hot soup slowly into the 2 cups of milk until it becomes warm; once it’s warm pour slowly into the hot soup. Note: Never pour cold milk into hot soup – it will curdle. Cook until potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes. If you like a chunky soup leave as is, but if you like a smoother soup, use your immersion blender (don’t forget to remove your bay leaf first). Mix in the Parmesan cheese and parsley just before serving. Garnish with bacon crumbles. Enjoy.

Click here for a printable version of this recipe

8 Responses to “Corn Chowder with Parmesan Cheese”

Elle — June 14, 2008 @ 12:33 am

I love corn chowder and just don’t make it enough. This one looks fantastic!

Kevin — June 14, 2008 @ 9:04 pm

That corn chowder looks great! I have been wanting to try making a corn chowder for months and I will have to wait a bit longer for the fresh corn.

RecipeGirl — June 15, 2008 @ 6:27 am

I absolutely love fresh corn chowder. Yours looks fabulous!!

Lore — June 15, 2008 @ 9:25 am

I love your corn chowder! It has a bunch of my favourite vegetables in there. Yum!

Nina's Kitchen (Nina Timm) — June 15, 2008 @ 9:32 am

Cape Town is so cold today that a bowl of this will definitely do the trick!!!!!It looks so heartwarming!!!!!

Jacqueline — June 16, 2008 @ 3:18 am

Thanks for commenting :)

If only Los Angeles wasn’t so hot, I’d be loving a bowl of creamy corn chowder. I don’t see it on many menus here in Southern California.

Cathie — June 16, 2008 @ 11:21 am

Your corn chowder looks great and I also loved your strawberry freezer jam!!
    Definitely give the banana cake a go!! It’s really yum. My kids beg for it!!

What’s For Dinner Wednesday: Corn Chowder « project granola mom — February 29, 2012 @ 9:41 pm

[...] Corn Chowder with Parmesan Cheese (original picture and recipe from For The Love of Cooking) [...]