This is a wonderful side dish! It was light yet full of flavor and I loved the silky pasta with the crunchy green beans & pine nuts. My son particularly loved this dish & had second helpings. I used vinegar and oil but this is also great with a couple of tablespoons of your favorite vinaigrette dressing. This dish pairs nicely with chicken or fish.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 onion, diced finely
- 1 cup of fresh green beans, chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 cup of grape tomatoes
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup orzo (rice shaped pasta), prepared per instructions
- 1-2 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 3-4 tbsp low fat feta cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; add onions & cook for 2 minutes. Add green beans & cover with a lid for 3 minutes. Add tomatoes & continue to cook until beans & tomatoes have softened. Add garlic & stir constantly for 30-45 seconds. Remove from heat. In a dry skillet, add pine nuts & toast for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently. Once orzo is cooked & drained, combine with the vegetables. Add parsley, cheese, pine nuts, olive oil, vinegar & lemon zest. Taste & re-season if needed. Enjoy.